RE: spirit combat

From: Weihe, David <Weihe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 16:46:44 -0400

> From: Kmnellist_at_...
> In a message dated 9/5/00 1:44:50PM, you write:
> << I do not like the
> idea of Theists learning Spirit Combat, as it's an ability leaned in
> Keywords only by Animists, inferring it requires an Animist
> mindset. >>
>
> I cannot agree with this argument. A character generation
> system that can give you six cuts silk does not limit character
> abilities to keywords. In fact you can have any ability you can
> think of, pretty much.

Furthermore, anyone who can heroquest to the Spirit Plane can get it by gambling and beating someone there who possesses the ability. Thus, anyone who *really* needs it can get it, in theory.

This also implies that many cults have some hero who did this sometime in the past, and supplies it as a Feat or skill. Finding these subcults will probably to be found in inverse ease of contacting a "real" shaman, of course, and increasing the skill is likely as hard as misapplied worship (whether it is or not I leave to the GodLearners), but they will be known. This will be part of <God> Lore, much as the rite of exorcism is part of RW Christian Lore, and White Magic supposedly was in the Middle Ages.

I doubt that most theists will know how to integrate the defeated spirits or make fetishes, although one-use spirit traps allowing/forcing the spirit to attack an enemy then go might be known (Seal of Solomon, anyone?).