Re: TR: Multiple subcult question

From: Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:52:38 +0200

Roderick Robertson wrote:
> > Now, enough with the logical stuff - what do the rules say? ;)
> Well, you *could* wait until you buy the book....

Believe me, I'm wibbleing myself to death waiting for it. But, I'm waiting for the local store to get it - it'll hopefully increase the speed of the arrival of future HW products...

> The first Aspect+Subcult requires the normal 30% time requirements.
> If you choose another subcult of the *same* Aspect as the one you currently
> worship, then it's another 10% (you already know a bunch about the rites,
> you'll be attending the "right" ceremonies, etc.)
> If you choose a subcult from a *different* aspect, it's +20%.

Then why isn't any more expensive to join the 'wrong' subcult/aspect for the first time?

> Now, the "primary" subcult you chose doesn't really affect this - if you
> want Hedkoranth Adventurous, that's okay. If you also want to worship
> Helamakt (a Thunderous aspect subcult) you pay 20% - just because Helamakt
> and Hedkoranth are from the same Aspect originally, you don't get that break
> to 10% - *you* follow Adventurous. The priests probably look at you funny
> and say "you should have thought of that before you went the route of
> Orlanth Adventurous..."

Well, I like to mix'n'match =)
I'd deduce from this, that I can't choose Helamakt Adventurous as a second subcult, but instead *must* go with Helamakt Thunderous. Hmm.

> You get the affinities of O. Adventurous, Helamakt and Hedkoranth. (TR page
> 68). You spend 50% of your time in service//worship.
> If you had stayed with Thundrous, you'd only pay 40%.

Just a moment - Joining a subcult from a different aspect takes 20% of your time. After this it says it's possible to join just a different aspect, but this has the same cost, 20%. I understand this as implying that the 20% cost includes both an aspect and a subcult. This makes sense, since the normal 30% initiate cost consists of 10% communal worship and 20% of aspect+subcult worship.

> Worshipping two [Aspect+Subcult]s is like worshipping two different gods -
> 60% of your time.

Hmm. I find this strange. More on this a few rows down.

Peter Larsen wrote:

>>Correct. If you want two Aspects and two Subcults, pay 60%.

> Not according to the example on the top of Thunder Rebels, p.69.
> Rurik is an initiate of both Destor Adventurous and Daylanus Thunderous. He
> gets Wind from both, Combat and Movement from DA and Storm and Fight
> Elements from DT. Two aspects, two subcults, 50% time. (Or was this changed
> in the errata?)

I agree - also, in an example of being both a devotee of one subcult+aspect and an initiate of another subcult+aspect, the time cost was 80%. According to my maths that's 60% (devotee 30%, initiate 20% and communal 10%) plus 20% (second initiation)...

> As I remember (and I've deleted the oriinal post, and my connection
> is slow enough tonight that I don't feel like looking at yahoo groups), the
> original idea was that someone wanted to worship Hedkoranth Adventurous
> (weird, but 30% time), then wanted to add Helmakt Thunderous (normal, and
> an additional 20% time per TR, p.67-69.
> Or, as is so often the case, have I missed something?

The idea was not to include worship of Helamakt Thunderous, but of Helamakt Adventurous. Were it H. Thunderous, I'd have no problem as the rules are clear (to me) about this. It's combining one aspect with two subcults, of which neither one belngs to that aspect, that's problematic.

Hm. I think I'll just go with house rules here: 10% communal worship
+20% initiate of aspect-1 and subcult-1
+5% if subcult-1 isn't part of a worshipped aspect

+30% devotee of subcult (if "wrong" aspect/subcult pair, no further penalty

     rules-wise)
+20% initiate of aspect-2 and subcult-2
OR +10% initiate of subcult-2 without additional aspect OR +20% initiate of aspect-2 without additional subcult +5% if subcult-2 isn't part of a worshipped aspect.

Thus, an initiate of Hedkoranth Adventurous and Helamakt Thunderous (the original example) would pay 10% + 20% + 5% + 10% + 5% = 50%. Becoming a devotee would add the usual 30%. Note: This would not grant affinities or feats from Orlanth Thunderous, although both subcults are really a part of it.

Joining two subcults and two aspects (e.g. Helamakt, Hedkoranth, Adventurous and Thunderous) would require 10% + 20% + 20% = 50%. Meaning no gain, but that's the price you pay for doing thing your way. I don't want to be forced to worship Orlanth Thunderous if I don't want to, even if some of his subcults intrest me. And the 5% penalties are in my opinion justified, because there *will* be problems.

-B