HPs and normal abilities house rule.

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 09:14:33 +0300 (EEST)

I made a house rule after my first Hero Wars session about using Hero points. My players finished of a wyrm that was supposed to discourage them from killing everything that they encounter (or rather to warn them that there must be another way sometimes :) in the following campaign.

Heropoints can be used to:

  1. Buy abilities. Even in the middle of a session.
  2. Bump fumbles to failures.
  3. Bump magic. (in heroquests, using affinities or magical abilities, etc.)

This makes magic more important. At first my players thought that affinities weren't worth the HPs, because they (at least superficially) work like normal abilities, but cost three times more.

I have had urges to tune even bumping magic when I have calculated some mosterous augments that you can get using a HP to get a major victory. (How about an almost surefire ^20 edge for the entire fyrd with Starkval secret, 15W affinity and a heropoint. You can do even more incredible stuff if you use additional rituals.) On the other hand I think that Glorantha is a magical world, so magic needs to be really good stuff.

Olli Kantola