Steal Woods and the Heortland Plateau

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:43:49 -0000

> I like that, that's a very interesting idea. And since the Pharaoh
> certainly was linking himself to the lands in some ways, and seemed
> have some kind of great mythic/magical project going on with his 6
lands
> of 5 elements and man, etc. etc., that might be an interesting idea.
The
> Andrinic reforms are necessary for the Pharaoh, since he needs a king
> attached to the land, and not the people. An unforseen consequence to
> many, but not to him.

This makes a lot of sense to me. It also explains the traditionalists' fury towards Andrin and his reforms - these aren't just weird reforms, but a deliberate undermining of Hendreik's way. The original Hendreiki didn't have any particular attachment to the Steal Woods (the forest that once covered most of the Heortland Plateau). It was just a wilderness in which they could escape the Gbaji Empire - then again, the original Hendreiki were basically bandits.

In the Second Age, the Hendreiki cut down the Steal Woods and turned it to farmland, but I doubt they ever had much religious attachment to the place itself (I'm sure Hendreik probably told his followers to never become too attached to any one place - never know when you are going to have to leave it).

Jeff