Concentration (was Re: Digest Number 2879)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:37:52 +0100 (BST)

> That would take care of one problem, the Hero Point
> penalty for not
> concentating, but introduces another: active magic
> use is much more
> interesting than passive. So, you would still need
> to concentrate.

Not to mention the distinction between active and passive being a pure rules mechanic anyway, and barely making sense in Gloranthan reality.

> My suggestion: one single HP cost, concentrated
> users get a +5 bonus _when using_ magic.

That looks good. Nice and simple, and moves the "norm" to unconcentrated, where it should be.

If you wanted something more complicated, I'd go for a "concentrated in <otherworld>" ability, to be used as a positive or negative augment as appropriate. I'm pretty sure it's been suggested before. Numbers would need a bit of juggling to get the right effect, but that's a question for the Rules list rather than this one.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/