Re: Three Runes

From: Alexander Entelechy <alexanderentelechy_at_aQcw8thxUARBhNfLm0Y6BLoCH57KdTANykiSI0y9Oshjn0PcxIzFhTLBR>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 07:26:41 -0800 (PST)

>Lc wrote: However, I do think that "people have runes they are associated with" is a >Glorantha-wide question. Is it viewed that way by everyone? Is it only viewed as a source >of magic by some if it is? Is actively rejecting your rune-nature and trenscending it >considered to be important?

I was having a chat with some members of my group about this when explaining why I didn’t like runes as they are presented. It’s almost like the runes are hard coded into you to give you a personality type. In fact the Sartar book gives negative modifiers for going against the personality type of your runes.

For me a more dramatic way to look at it is as a relationship. Everyone starts with one rune and then as they journey through life begin gaining more runes as they develop more relationships. In this system you’d get your affinity for a certain rune AFTER being initiated. The rune itself is just a representation of an important human thing: death, child birth, war, hate, trade, and so on. Initiation gives you a culturally specific understanding of that specific phenomena. It places it into a mythological context.

Initiating into a new religion would then mean you either drop your old understandings (runes) and develop new ones or your try and create a synergy. If you try and create a synergy then you have to combine the truths of both cultures in a heroquest and if they conflict in any serious way (which they should do for dramatic reasons) then you’ve got your work cut out for you. You’d probably also need to persuade your community of those truths before a heroquest could be attempted in the first place. That alone is the meat for some good stories.