Re: City Orlanthi

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_pOMQ5iHbpc2hXfkcSoXgVnhPqnUA3VjiQc83ScttWZYy72V0g-ywkiDmDtzXE3FMkodZ>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:26:45 -0000

> So let me see if I can summarize some of the main differences:
> Private ownership of land/buildings is much more predominant and is the
> basis for full membership in the cities social structures.

Nope. There is not private ownership of land in cities - all land is owned by the various communities who have rights in the city. If you are not an enfranchised member of the city you must lease your land or building. Greg, Ian and I had a very exhaustive discussion about this yesterday and we are all in agreement.

> There is a legal system that covers the rules for dealing with
"strangers",
> allowing for grievances to be resolved and compensation to be paid when
> there is a violation of these rules. In Dragon Pass, these laws
derive from
> Sartar's Laws.

An outsider needs to be placed under the protection of some enfranchised community to have any legal protection. For example, merchants register with the Issaries Temple. If you just walz into the city and have no patron, you don't have protection.

Jeff