Re: Wasp riders of the rockwoods

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_av4DYF8pwa1oy2XizDJg3FbqB2xdeSPsH0Idst2Jm0J3M8T3n5-PQvSNorytY>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:43:43 -0000

I think there is a lot to be said for looking at revising and republishing articles such as these in a new supplement.

Though I'm very impressed with the quality and creativity in the recent catalogue, it has--with certain notable exceptions, such as Jeff's look at Maniran Hsunchen in BLOOD OVER GOLD; Greg and Jamie's collection of beasties in ANAXIAL'S RO(O)STER; and James' work on UW's UZ--been distinctly 'Mannish'. Many of the works in the pipeline continue this trend.

We have Shannon's book on the Aldryami on the horizon, but I would very much like to see more on those less-well described, often slightly leftfield creations of Greg's that appeared in WHITE BEAR & RED MOON/DRAGON PASS and elsewhere: Half-Beasts, Tusk Rides, Wasp Riders, the Sun Dome temple, Black Horse County, Delecti and his zombies, etc. They are a major part in what got me interested in Glorantha, and I'm sure the same holds true for a few others. Yet they have been absent for a while.

I think a supplement on the 'minor factions' of Dragon Pass--composed of homelands, cults, entities, stories and adventure ideas--would be enjoyable and interesting. Furthermore, it would not be unduly difficult to create. There is a lot of material already out there, which could be revised for a new (and old...) audience.

There is André & Martin et al.'s piece on the Wasp Riders in Tradetalk #7. There is Simon's piece on the Tusk Riders in THE FOUR SCROLLS OF REVELATION (and also the primary info in ELDER SECRETS). The HERO WARS info on Black Horse County is out of print; there is also information on the Grazers that could easily be republished for HQ2. These are just a few examples.

And, perhaps, there are ducks.

I understand that the 'major' Elder Races--the dwarfs, elves, trolls and dragonewts--will be set apart for their own supplements; but there's a lot of fun in what's left. I think it would be good for Glorantha to place these elements back in the limelight.

Stew.