Re: More Lodril questions

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_8Yxk6wDZlXAf7Fwsp1eGOrUWB3FxbUa9_jzLoqrg_6YZmkEeHup53u_U-yJ3vlAUD-k>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:07:32 -0500

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_xZ1ANylrMt-cOE8777wvjqKcM1nKZZVgGbPfxgKodYlMXdaMVVhc6MR09I3zy39rP66MPrbkUwhAxqs-FdrDTgg0ig.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> The second major issue is that Turos and Gerendetho maintain
> their distinction from the larger cult of Lodril. I can only assume
> that at a God Learned level they are the same cult but that
> Turos maintains his distinction through his identity as a High
> God (of Jernotia) which Lodril cannot assimilate. Some subcults
> can cross the identity barrier while others are closely
> identified with their patron deity.

This subject is of particular interest to me, at least where Turos is concerned. The Pelandans don't have much of a sun cult except in the remote form of Idovanus (through the impersonal ersonmoda concept). Confusingly, KaCharal, "father" of Turos, was said to have placed the bright ersoon into the sky. What differences does the lack of a strong sun cult make to the role of Turos in myths, rituals and Pelandan social order as contrasted with the Lodril cult and Dara Happan society?

How much of the rulership role does Turos have without a Yelm analog around? Jernotius was the leader of the High Gods, but more as a teacher than a ruler. Turos sat in "the Highest Seat" of the Jernotian Ring in the apotheosis of Daxdarius myth, but IIRC this was an elected position among the High Gods and I also don't know what powers/duties were ascribed to the Highest Seat. Idovanus is also a High God - how should I view the relationship between the gods of Power (Turos) and Order (Idovanus)? Turos is also the God of the Council Staff, but that seems less like a king and more like a chairman.

Obviously, the Pelandans aren't as "top down" as the Dara Happans, but they did have the mythic example of High King Gartemirus, which appears to have been emulated by Lendarsh and even the Carmanians to a degree (the number and choosing of royal wives seems to echo the Gartemirus myth).

Were there lasting Dara Happan or Kargzanti (Lendarsh) influences on Pelandan solar mythology?

-Kevin McD