Re: Fronela

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_6Vco4KJJZloUfsnlIH8g75NG9sCCk9bNjwN-wb97xudoz0iqXTkx5LzTgdorTO8-Nuu>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:03:29 +1300

At 02:27 p.m. 3/03/2009, you wrote:

>2) Loskalm: It falls to God Learner rule fairly early. When does it
>shake itself free?

It's complicated. Loskalm appears to have freed itself in a revolt before the Closing but was still cited as paying tribute to the Emperor circa 930 ST. In 940 ST, the Seshnegi attempted to retake Fronela with some success as an independent God Learner governor is cited as ruling over "Frontem" circa 960 ST. There was a major revolt in 980 ST in which King Sigur drove out the Seshengi with the aid of Jonat Bigbear and others.

>3) Valmark: At some point, Loskalm seems to stretch all the way down the
>Janube river valley. (Eastpoint) When? Pre-God learners? Post
>God-learners?

During the God Learner Period until the Carmanians came down and kicked ass.

>I notice
>that the Hero Wars Glorantha book puts it in the Kingdom of Valmark,
>which was once ruled from Galastar.

This is a barbarian kingdom of sorts in the early third age long after the Loskalmi have been ousted AFAIK

>I suspect [Galastar has] is a quite different Orlanthi-ism than the
>Sartarites, of course.

In my opinion, the Galastari worship Orlanth and other storm gods (Valind, the Wild Hunter etc) in the far crueller Vadrudi manner.

>4) Junora: It was part of Loskalm at some point, but became
>independent. It seems it was independent before the Ban, and picked off
>bits of Southern Loskalm that ended up cut off from the main Kingdom. It
>is now an independent county,

Junora is really a land containing a number of independent nobles rather than an actual county.

>Considering
>Loskalm developed its perfect Hrestoli liberation during the Ban, this
>presumably has a slightly different implementation of the ideals of
>Hrestol. (I believe this is Reformed vs New Idealist?)

Junora wasn't actually controlled by Snodal and thus missed out on the Siglat reformation during the Ban. It has an older version of Hrestolism but I doubt it's anywhere formalised enough to be called a church in its own right - rather the Junoran cities have churches that are recognizably Hrestoli but contain some significant differences from each other - one might be run by an order of knights, another might practice hereditary succession for the nobility etc.

>In fact, I need a better map of the region, as I'm not
>sure why the Carmanians didn't stop [in Jonatela] instead of fleeing
>across the
>sea and mountains to present-day Carmania.

Wolves. Lots and lots of wolves. Werewolves to be more precise. Huge vicious werewolves. With wicked fangs.

>If the Carmanians are an early offshoot of the Talor thread of
>Malkionism in the West, then Syanoran coming from the Gerlant thread
>makes for an interesting counterpoint. Perhaps it was adopted to
>remove/refute Carmanian influence?

I don't think the Syanorans are Gerlanti inspired. Rather the Church was established by the Wizard Halwal when he was seeking allies during the Sorcerer's War.

>6) The Arrolians: They show up in the late 1300s, fleeing Sheng Seleris.
>They are Lunar, but not Empire. It is unclear to me why they never
>re-united with the Empire,

For the same reason that Trotskyites never reunited with the Soviet Union after Stalin's death - they are splitters.

>They seem to be
>taken over by Carmania after fleeing Sheng. I don't remember Carmania
>striking out again as Empire while resisting Sheng, but I guess it did,
>as it was always somewhat autonomous, and only recently converted to the
>Lunar Way.

When the Lunar Empire disappeared during Sheng's onslaught, the Lunars only had a tenous hold over Carmania and Pelanda. One of the things they would have done is to encourage traditionalist Carmanians to persecute those rabble who decided to flee rather than save the Empire.

>It is unclear whether the three Arrolian cities listed in the HW
>Glorantha book were separated during the Ban or not. I suspect yes.

They were freed by the ban at different times.

>7) Charg: Once EWF, conquered by Carmania during the Age of Empires, now
>swathed in the Ban. It's fate post-EWF is unclear, although I would
>assume it was mostly Carmanian and I assume was actually part of Lunar
>Carmania at one point.

It was mainly barbarian riddled.

>8) Carmania: They are supposedly Froneleans who refused to submit to the
>Godlearners. Since the Godlearners were in charge in the west, this puts
>them in Loskalm or as perhaps from one of the Janube City States. I
>think Nick Brooke made them from Jorri and the remnants of a routed
>army. How Hrestoli were they?

Hrestolism is really a spiritual practice rather than a formal church in its own right. That the ancestors of the Carmanians practiced Hrestolism does not mean they practiced it to the extent that the Loskalmi now do or even made it part of the government.

--Peter Metcalfe