Re: Fronela

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_0-3jRzuLpWTwCf-UV31Z5qGw-BaCLMUseInukJoTutZRHjmhEIlzYL8ZU6SAMmP63kN>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 18:50:46 +1300

At 05:29 p.m. 3/03/2009, you wrote:
> >Loskalm appears to have freed itself in a revolt
> >before the Closing but was still cited
>
>cited where?

The Middle Sea Empire, an unfinished worl.

> >>3) Valmark: At some point, Loskalm seems to stretch all the way down the
> >>Janube river valley. (Eastpoint) When? Pre-God learners? Post
> >>God-learners?

> >During the God Learner Period until the Carmanians came down and
> >kicked ass.

>So the God Learners kicked the EWF out of the area completely? The
>Carmanians then knocked them off while still ostensibly God Learner-y or
>was that after the GLs had fallen apart?

Any EWF influence in Fronela has to be over the High Llama Pass and that gets obliterated by Alakoring circa 900s.

> >Junora is really a land containing a number of independent nobles
> >rather than an actual county.

>I'd still probably put a Count as the big dog who at least took charge
>during the ban. Obviously, as any kind of unified identity, they only
>had the 100-odd years of the Ban for it, so I suspect it is a very
>fragile construct.

Junora was not isolated as an independent entity during the Ban - it was fragmented by the Ban and hence there is no Count. Instead of one big county, every town, village and manor was cut off from each other by the Ban. Some parts of Junora still have not been freed from the ban.

>So there was a real fracturing of the religion post-God Learner's in
>your view.

I never spoke of a real fracturing and for the religion to have fractured after the God Learners would imply that it was unified to begin with - which I do not believe to be the case. The establishment of a Loskalmi church took place during the Ban - prior to that there were many different Loskalmi churches each with their own quirks.

> >Wolves. Lots and lots of wolves. Werewolves to be more precise.
> >Huge vicious werewolves. With wicked fangs.
>
>Well that's a good reason. So where do these werewolves come from? Was
>there a long history of werewolves?

The werewolves have been around since Talor's time, and for a while before then for he to have bothered cursing them.

>(Or is this just over the mountain
>from Telmor or something that I'm not noticing so it is pretty evident
>there are going to be werewolves everywhere. Is the place still
>crawling with werewolves?

I imagine the Telmori crossed the High Llama Pass (eating all the High Llama in the process) and colonized the land closest to Telmoria. They were weakened greatly by Talor and hunted down during the Imperial Age (after Syranthir marched through). There are still werewolves around but they are usually genetic throwbacks rather than actual Telmori clans.

> >I don't think the Syanorans are Gerlanti inspired.

>Any reason?

Gerlant isn't known for religious innovation - he's little more than a heroic king with a badass flaming sword.

> >Rather the Church was established by the Wizard Halwal when he was seeking
> >allies during the Sorcerer's War.

>OK, What's the Sorcerer's War?

A war between two Sorcerers that spanned the length and breadth of God Learner civilization at the time. They were fighting for largely personal reasons (Halwal wanted to be High Sorceror of the God Learners but was refused and so spent the next seventy years trying to destroy the God Learner establishment).

>I was under the impression [the Arrolians] were more refugees. You
>are implying
>they had a philosophical/political difference of some type before the
>nomad invasion and so they just took advantage to go off somewhere else
>and do their own thing?

They didn't take advantage - the religious differences they had were aggravated by the Seleran Crisis and so they undertook the decent option left open to them.

> >They were freed by the ban at different times.

>Any dates listed anywhere? That certainly means they were separate.

The Genertela Book in the Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars boxed set.

         Riverjoin - 1597
         Southbank - 1603 (the origin of the name Southbank should alone
                 indicate they were isolated from each other)
         Galastar - 1599
         Eastpoint - 1589

> >Hrestolism is really a spiritual practice rather than a formal church in
> >its own right.

>Thus the idea that ALL churches in the first age or two were "hrestoli"
>in some way.

That's not the case. Hrestolism is the institution of knighthood and is not in and of itself a challenge to the accepted Malkioni caste structure. That early churches tolerated the practice of knighthood to some extent or another does not mean they were Hrestoli. Think of crusaders, friars, jedi, hermits and monks as examples of Hrestoli knight as opposed to the traditional knights.

--Peter Metcalfe