Re: Runes of Turos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_TS0_YwCifedavkB9Uluz8PaDg3OypG8f6yC5dDH0c_dUlm0vXylflqodlVNSe5JRgWT>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:48:25 +1200

Benedict Adamson wrote:

> Valare Addi assembles lore from several places without clearly
> indicating what comes from where.

Even though she's less than clear, it's pretty easy to work out the origin of the myth. If it exalts women (the birth of the world p4) or deprecates men (the three errors p31-36) then it comes from the ancient woman's tradition that is found mostly in Darsen. The First Man in the women's tradition is VogMaradan who is alone and confused and needs to be laid.

If it talks how men are full of fire and spunk (The Gods make the world p14) or (How Men got Useful p24-25) then its from the Ancient Men's Tradition that originated in the Fire Mountain now drowned by Lake Oronin. There the first man is KaCharal who shapes the earth because it can't shape itself being trapped by its own passivity.

What I was pointing out is that when these two peoples became one (when the AroTurru met with the Women's Tribe), the differences still persisted and so what one mythological tradition might proclaim to be a good thing is taken by another to be the sign of a pompous ass. That was the point I was making.

In regards to Turos's runes, even though we know how the Pelandans and Pelorians write them, we also need some description in terms of the universal/god learner runes. Turos is described in Pelandan times as being the God of Power. There is a good rune for that (Force /\) which is used by Shargash. I'd also give him the Fire Rune with a third rune being perhaps Harmony to differentiate him from Lodril.

I'm not concerned with Turos being a fire deity who lives beneath the earth for in Darsen mythology, the sky is an empty place until Entekos fills it and in the Men's myth, the first fire appears in the earth rather than come from the sky.

--Peter Metcalfe