Re: Runes of the Oronin Valley: the High Gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_7sgutPSQWtEAItDq1mvtEqUU8O_e0ZRZr08LsQf1sYbz3H4xwfuJvjBwPfrkX1b7mg6>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 20:01:33 +1200

This is getting rather big, so I'll break it up.

Bentus: Kevin suggests Fertility, Disorder while Benedict suggests Life.

   I don't see either springing from Pleasure. There is a Recreation rune in HQ1 that is one of the Five Movements and that I suggest is the best fit for Bentus. Since his cult isn't very developed, I don't think he needs another rune.

Daxdarius: definitely has combat. The riddle is what the other rune should be. He besieged the Blue King with a siege and he defeated the Andam Horde with a Phalanx. I suspect Mastery.

Jernotia: I'm inclined to intepret her manta "all is change, all is balance" as representative of the runes of Balance and Motion. I don't see the need for Harmony.

Natha: had in ILH-2 the runes of Moon with one phase filled in. I suspect the balance rune (which is also the Moon rune) would be appropriate. She also has the rune of combat as one of her affinities but I rather like the idea of making it a disorder rune so we get the imagery of Nathans promoting Balance through stirring up havoc.

Oria: Both Kevin and Benedict suggest the Earth, Life and Harmony Runes.   To me that makes her a clone of Ernalda and so should be resisted. Since the Pelandan view of her as the Goddess of Success, hence I propose that she have the runes of Earth, Life and Luck.

Turos: I've already suggested Fire and Strength. Benedict has qualms about my suggestion of the strength/force rune because it's associated with violence. That's really arguing from a sample size of 1 (Shargash) IMO. I'll also endorse David's comments about equating Tersu with Heat.

Uleria: had in Gods of Glorantha the runes of Fertility and Infinity. She's also described as the owner of the fertility rune in Runequest III book 5. Despite the fact that she is now the goddess of love when she was the goddess of life, it doesn't affect the runes that she has as far as I can tell. A stronger argument could be made that the Pelandans don't worship her in her infinite sense.

Idomon is a prophet of High Gods and not a God in his own right. He would be a patron of Mantises of the High Gods. He points to the sun as the sole representative of his order which should really be interpreted as the Creator's firestick rather than solar worship. I suppose a rune like Truth could be used as that's interpreted as a torch.

--Peter Metcalfe