Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_np4pDrO0-WbdNZ86V8eJr-SCwUzvrpqjm0e0qW1HVLxmwAvYO8mZJCKdSj6-oBT_1->
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:56:24 +1000

2009/7/29 Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_u_oZTiLhZkwOuFUEpD84yueJ-wS6-_b-cRxJO58Ih8K28-1jEe7fiHw59ZAlr-BjoXbrdkjlVQL6Tk_u0fHW_xZDWouKKg.yahoo.invalid>:

> John Machin wrote:
>
>> Are the runes associated with an otherworldy entity Gloranthan Knowledge
>> or
>> Objective Knowledge?
>
> Both.

What?! No page references!?

> The way the Dara Happan would do it would be to associate the Storm Rune
> with Death and Disorder. Thus Orlanth is intrinsically Deathly and
> Disorderly without the need to assign extra runes to him.

How do they associate these three concepts without symbolic associations being used? I find this, cognitively, difficult! If Storm = Uppity Murderous Jerk then where is Dorburdun coming from using it as his rune?

I have no trouble imagining Rebellious
Terminus/Terminatus?/Orlanatus?/Orlanth being depicted as: "Here comes Orlanth to slay the Emperor; riding the storm rune, holding the death rune, the disorder rune as his rebel's false crown!" Is this "wrong" in some sense?

If there is a Loyal Storm then there has to be some signifiers to show the atributes of the Rebel Storm in the Dara Happan interpretation. Or has Dorburdun picked up Law as well to show he is orderly?

--
John Machin