Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: David Dunham <david_at_lrbtRMsgDhvu8xQc2nMrttZ7W3VQaDzzGgYfxg-DiOWxjs8ea07jJSh74qZO4oiC4coiwI>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 18:58:53 -0700

Mark

>But why would the Pelorians associate a farming god with fire? I'm
>not aware of any volcanoes there.

Peloria is actually full of volcanoes, I think there's at least one that erupts often in the Yolp Mountains, and Lake Oronin is actually a huge caldera. But that doesn't explain why Pelorians would associate a farming god with fire. They certainly don't farm with fire (IMO that's something the Umathelans do, and perhaps very ancient Alkothings).

Anyway, don't forget that all this is really based on how people interact with their god. If Heortling men are all Air rune folk, they pretty much have to have picked a farming god who has the Air rune. There may have been perfectly good sons of Ernalda who might actually have been better at farming, but whom Heortling men couldn't emulate very well, and thus didn't get worship.

Guy

>I just re-read the original
>Cult of Lodril description (which gives him the runes of fire and
>disorder), and I remembered the fire associations (spear, volcano,
>wildfire), etc. much more than the farming associations.

Best way to view this is that this is the god of Caladraland, not the god of Peloria. (And as I recall, Caladraland is another place where they use swidden agriculture, so a fire god *is* useful to farmers.)

--

David Dunham