Re: Hwarin Dalthippa - the Conquering Daughter

From: donald_at_AFAsSIr84w8ECyVTVhSyDELsUgimGbkjbV-D6Gduzb_ltnjCR_8HzP33oMNiABjgWmRvH
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 12:58:51 GMT

In message <p06240813c69d609fddd7_at_[10.0.1.3]> David Dunham writes:
>Peter
>
>>Her rune appears to be that of a Bridge. But I think building (craft
>>rune) and conquest (victory rune) would be good starts as she built the
>>bridges and the city of Jillaro as well as conquer the southern
>>barbarians. ILH-2 also gave her the family rune but that's reaching
>>IMO.
>
>Except none of these are the core runes described in HQ2 or the
>Sartar draft. IMO it's entirely possible for people to define their
>own runes like this, but you'd need to go whole hog, and specify the
>relevant personality traits.
>
>Without going back to the writeup, I could see Harmony used for
>building, and Death for conquest. But you could have Mastery
>(inverted it looks bridge-like) as she mastered the river. YGWV.

I don't see Harmony being used to rapidly build straight roads across the landscape for the purpose of conquest. I can see Craft as a subset of the Stasis rune, a good craftsman imposes permanence on something which would otherwise decay.

This leads to the bit I'm struggling with. The core runes seem to be so few and imprecise that many gods could be described with different ones - does a god of conquest have Death or Mastery. Equally, apart from the few gods which are the owner of the rune, gods only have a subset of their runes power. Which leads to two entirely different gods having the same runes but deriving different magic from them.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/