Re: Why is the Wenelian tradition anti-bird?

From: Toread DuDerysi <jakyer_at_zG4um0pqbHdV03iLHj4z5eibn3blg1CPC0I0_kPZwttfBgvsvBOX0JnZSw84z_Ng6Xd6o>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:36:24 -0000

Good enough. But since I've been invoked, I'll try and explain my thoughts on the Wenelian beast worship and bloodlines while writing Blood over Gold.

One reason, which I thought was important: Dokal is the keeper of beasts in the Wenelian Tradition (a bad name really, for a hodgepodge of locally dominant spirit cults and a sort of generalized regional hero). Almost all Wenelian tribefolk have some degree of beast-peopole blood in their veins. This is the basis for the various beast-specific totems, bloodlines and (more rarely) clans as well as the personalized animal worship most Wenelian tribesmen maintain. There's a mixture of blood and heritage but the adulthood rites - often a vision quest - tend to bring out the most predominant bloodline though I suspect that with this there might be almost as much choice as being chosen. I suspect 'pure' bloodlines are fiercely protective of this and those who fail to make the grade (or are of mixed blood) are expelled to form the half-blood Blues that make up so many of the city and town populations.

I am of the belief that the Wenelian "Entruli" beast folk were the servants, descendants of Sevid and Sevarius (sp)the Enchanter - who may or may not have been a progenitor or ancestor of Dokal. These beast folk also number fallen hsunchen and the descendants of divine beast-folk in their number. There are also some strong animal associations among the Orlanthi with specific beasts and I wonder if these are not related to the absorption of the beast-folk during the God Time?

Despite the myriad sources, none of these beasts, at least during my research into the area, were avian* but almost all mammals and some wise fish or reptiles such as Salmon and Turtle.

However, that said, most of Wenelia is a great mishmash of shattered cultures, remnant peoples, and howling wilderness. It is also the site of many callous and depraved Godlearner experiments so, I suppose, anything can be found back in the hills and hollers of that land. Me, I'd be surprised to see bird folks and very, very surprised if they were actually part of the main tradition. I suspect they would be something else entirely.

Or maybe the proto-Wenelians were so traumatized by their first encounters with ducks during the God Times and cleansed their lands of anything even remotely humorous as a result.

I hope this helps!

Jeff

P.S. 20 miles a day in Sartar? Walking? Have you seen the topography? Yikes! I've spent too long out in the field as a geologist to be very optimistic about how far one can walk in rough and hilly terrain.