Re: Why is the Wenelian tradition anti-bird?

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_Pb7Kg6mGwa_zIbBoa--zFd0maG-ShHTp95dJ104qEzd_KsnwXnSlecF-sWS9vygqs>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:22:10 -0700

YGWV On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Toread DuDerysi <jakyer_at_3L2cxm7Yk0FTiROz4Y1sX2QA-oPEjbgy7lghVjinxNR7sJI-8WTTgEr6BNq2GrhInnDgOm2x1RNX.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Despite the myriad sources, none of these beasts, at least during my
> research into the area, were avian* but almost all mammals and some wise
> fish or reptiles such as Salmon and Turtle.

and

> * I'm not sure if there are any avian hsunchen aside from rarities like
> Eagle.

There are few non-mammalian hsunchen, wherein "hsunchen" means "the many peoples of Glorantha who have kinship with animals and shapechange. And, in old records, some peoples are called hsunchen who actually are not of the same class/category of legend/spirit power.

Naturally there are different types of hsunchen too: --the ones who are equally human and animal --the ones who are mostly animal, sometimes being human which they consider a curse
--the humans who can turn into animals, sometimes

     somtimes it is a curse
     sometimes a blessing

Most of the time the changes have no moral connections--it just is how it is.
And those poor folks who have only one shape! LOSERS!!

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer