Re: Why is the Wenelian tradition anti-bird?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_xDRCmgk0SswSNH-dh6LlaoGt1vEIFQo-Q4cgt_Q1B_J6beRohetsf8fvfCL08jBE8io>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:16:29 +1200

Toread DuDerysi wrote:

> There are also some strong animal associations among the Orlanthi
> with specific beasts and I wonder if these are not related to the
> absorption of the beast-folk during the God Time?

It depends when they were absorbed. For the Yinkini, the Odaylings and the Uroxi who were in the storm tribe from the beginning, I would say yes. For those that joined later like the Deer Clan that Heort belonged to or the Wolf Clan of the Hidden Kings, I think it more likely that those beast-folk were actually Orlanthi who wore magic cloaks in order to provide for themselves and their kin during the Great Darkness.

> * I'm not sure if there are any avian hsunchen aside from rarities
> like Eagle.

In Genertela that's true but in Pamaltela, a list of 16 fiwan (animal shapeshifters) is given in Revealed Mythologies p33. Of these, about four are birds.

--Peter Metcalfe