Re: Can Heortling farmers count?

From: Stephen Tempest <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 16:37:55 +0000

Pomeroi <pomeroi_at_...> writes:

>Soon later, the "new" architects of the medieval age came, and were
>successful. Again: counting is one thing, but having a grasp of, say,
>how much weight is a stone block of so much length, height and width, is
>a completely different matter! So easy for a young pupil nowadays!

I also think it's a lot easier to multiply 146 by 69 by 20 than it would be to multiply CXLVI by LXIX by XX. Place notation and the concept of zero were revolutionary innovations.

So which Gloranthan cultures possess the concept of zero? And conversely, which have heard of it but regard it as a vile chaotic heresy? (Treating negation as a concrete entity!)

Stephen