Re: The Flooding of Prax, and about draconic rivers.

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:56:18 -0000

David Scott <sciencefish_at_...> wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2013, at 19:59, jorganos <joe_at_...> wrote:
> > I have seen a map which shows Oslira/Sshorga in or around Kerofinela and Seolinthur as tributary entering the Garden.

> Would that be the Troll migrations Storm Age Map from Trollpak (Uz Lore p7 AH 1988).
> That would fit in to the sequence after the flood.

No, the map showed the first river snaking into the land, branching off Seolinthur and Faralinthor. The Oslir crawled across Kerofinela and then met Murharzarm. That's obviously before the last contest between Orlanth and Yelm, hence before the trolls left Wonderhome.

>> I was talking specifically about Prax, never mind the lands beyond Zola Fel. The Kerofinelan eastern coastline runs through the lands just east of the Verge or Mt. Quivin. That's where I would look for Prax.

> Looking at the new mythological maps, the answer is quite clear: Prax is not named and the area is part of the Garden, it would form the coastal strip. Tada's land appears mid-storm age.

Which coastal strip? On the Kerofinelan side, or on the far side?

>> Note that I make a distinction between the Garden (as a whole) and Prax (which is basically the westernmost corner, the land of Tada and his folk).

> Which raises an interesting point, when does Prax actually come into existence.

We know that Tada was resident and established in the lands east of Kerofinela when Vingkot became king of the Orlanthi. That's fairly middling in the Storm Age.

> The new mythological maps don't have it marked. Neither does the previously mentioned Trollpak map. My understanding is that it came into being after the Dawn.

Ok, so you make a distinction between Prax and Tada's Land.

I would hold that the burning of the Savannah and Waha's rescue of the Protectresses would mark the beginning of the modern lands of Prax. The first event to tie the Beast Riders to the locale is the hiding of Eiritha.

> The Wastelands weren't pulled completely together until the ritual of the net, only a few named places existed up until then. Although we don't have a definitive translation for the name - it should mean something like homeland, new land, new camp, etc.

Many of the early activities of Waha are tied to locations quite close to Kerofinela, a more stable area than the more distant regions of the Garden. The Paps, Devil's Marsh, Sounder's River (and I still think that that originally was Founders' river) are fairly contiguous, and tied together by Ronance roads. Lots of Chaparral may have been besides the shards stringed together by the Ronance Roads, and thus more recent land, but Waha's core activities took place before the Dawn.

As I proposed earlier, much of the Praxian culture is a continuation of a Greater Darkness survival trick of the kind that was renounced or rationalized away by the Heortlings or Hagorlings after the Dawn (compare the Hidden Kings of the Vingkotlings, after the Sword and Helm Saga - what they did is very similar to what Waha made the Beast Riders do). The Praxians still cling to a practice that was abandoned in Orlanthi lands.

>> Any body of water they may encounter would be a hostile spirit environment. It is hard to concentrate on swimming if your spirit gets attacked, too?

> Only if you slip into the spirit world.

It is more like crossing into a hostile sacred ground (or losing the ground below your feet/steed). Whatever spirits are lurking on that border will come and haunt the intruder.

Any body of water a Praxian will encounter in Prax or the wastes will be magical territory. Thus, there will be spirits lurking.

>> Neither tapirs nor bison really fit into a serengeti setting like Prax.

> That is post chaos, the Garden could have it all.

Sure. The Garden stretched all the way to North Pent, and had all kinds of ecological niches. Sort of proves my point that the Beast Riders were immigrants to Prax, following Storm Bull towards his battle with Wakboth (in a respectful distance).