Re: shamanic integration

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_me.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 20:52:28 +0100

On 21 Jul 2013, at 17:51, Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> David Scott:
>
> > Praxian spirit world -> The Larger Herd -> Larger realm of Animals (gods and Great spirits)-> Genert's ancient demesne (The Green Age) -> Earthmaker's demesne (The Primal Plasma).
>
> Do you have any more examples of these?

No only the Praxian one. But the Balazaring one would be

Balazaring spirit world -> The Larger World -> Larger realm of Animals (gods and Great spirits)-> The Green Age -> Earthmaker's demesne (The Primal Plasma).

> They would be very useful for my current Praxian campaign, as I am trying to work up a better way for animist traditions to interact

Animist traditions can easily interact, look at the Pavic tradition and the Praxian Tradition, they share some of the same societies. The Hungry plateau tradition has much in common with the Praxian tradition. The Lunar tradition has parts in common with the Before Dark tradition. Many traditions will have a hunter society. They will have commonality. The Lunar Orogerian society and the Praxian foundchild society will definitely be able to interact and swap charms. I'm sure there is a small Praxian Orogerian society somewhere in the Sable Tribe (female hunters!).

> and this would give me a good way to restrict spirits to a tradition.

Only spirit worshippers (or initiates as they are called in Praxian tradition) have restrictions on what spirits they themselves can obtain.

Available spirits types of a tradition are the sum of those available to all the spirit societies in the tradition.

Shaman are much more flexible and can get spirits from beyond their tradition.

> > The Horned Man is in Earthmaker's realm he can teach the secrets
> > of the soul winds, some would say he's Earthmaker's fetch. Tribal
> > shaman are immensely powerful and few.
>
> So the more powerful shamans should be able to access the "higher" or "deeper" realms - that's a useful idea.

That's what defines power in a shaman - the ability to transcend their initially defined demesnes. Initiates, spirit-talkers and shaman of the Praxian tradition are limited to the Praxian spirit world. Powerful shaman have survive accessing a higher or deeper demesne and now have access to more powerful spirits that will help them in their work. Each breakthrough maybe treated as an initiation / Heroquest. Not all will survive. Most will be content with their initial role.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433