Re: Lunar Chaos Figthing Cult

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_me.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 11:48:34 +0100

On 27 Jul 2013, at 10:27, drscience3000 <dr.dave.00_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> As the Intro the Hero Wars book says...
> "Yet many Lunar heroes gained fame by killing vampires or smashing the slave heads of Thanatar. The awareness of the educated or sensitive concerning the proximity of chaos makes them acutely aware of their dire responsibilities."

A slightly changed form of this is repeated in Pavis - Gateway to Adventure.

> > A cult has the view that "All of this kind of people is bad", as a religious view. It would be better to have local commanders take a view on whether the chaos needs to be put down and then to use whatever resources are available.

> I don't see that the cult listed says that "all" chaos is bad. It only described probably with chaos that is "unhealed", "breaking the the law", uncontrolled, or whatever and the desire to preserve the magics used to deal with it.

As Peter said "The unhealed chaos theme was only a brief line in Gods of Glorantha [1985] and isn't a core tenet of the Lunar Way.", and bear in mind that ILH1 & 2 are not considered canon anymore, but can still be used in your games if you wish.

Ideas concerning how the Lunar Empire works have evolved considerably during this time. The largest update has been the in how lunar religion works in Pavis - Gateway to Adventure, have a look at page 407 Lunar Chaos. The upcoming guide also considerably expands our understanding, with access to Greg's notes we now know more about the Lunar Empire than we have at any other time.

Jeff said "The Dara Happan Empire, of which the Lunars are simply the newest managers, divides everything into those who obey the Emperor and those who are Rebels. Before the Red Goddess, most Dara Happans foolishly thought that all monsters were Rebels. But She shows us that such views come from fear and ignorance. Some monsters now obey the Emperor and are accepted as members of the Empire. Others do not, and the Emperor strikes them down with soldiers."

If you want to have a Lunar Chaos Fighting Cult, you can - Your Glorantha will vary. However if you want to keep your Glorantha in line with what is currently defined as canon by MD - which no one is saying have too, a Lunar Chaos Fighting Cult isn't in keeping with current ideas on the Lunar Empire.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433