RE: Arkat and Dorasta

From: soltakss_at_yahoo.com
Date: 30 Oct 2013 04:52:24 -0700

Pentallion:

 > I'm unsure of something(s) and thought maybe Greg or someone could give me some help. I'm making some assumptions I don't know if they're canonical or not, but I'm happy to throw them aside if they turn out not to be rather than simply go the YGMV route.

 > Assumption: The story of Arkat vs Nysalor where Arkat understands the mirror with one side is true and he actually does end up as Razalkark, half broo, half unicorn.

I don't think that is the case. Arkat founded the Dark Empire and lived for an awfully long time before he apotheosised.

> Assumption: The unicorn head symbolizes the purity of intellect and the broo lower half symbolizes the base nature.

Yes, that is the case with Ralzakark - he is a combination of purity and baseness.

> My question is: WHY is Arkat raping Dorasta? Why keep Dorastor a chaos pit? I understand that if he had simply killed her that she'd have been replaced and that by trapping her and forcing her to gift him her flora, he is able to spread chaos through Dorastor, but WHY does he wish this?

Arkat was mad by this point. He was so filled with bloodlust and hatred that he just could not stop. He was a ravening monster.

 Dorasta might have been seen as an unwitting victim of Nysalor, but she was clearly not that. I think Arkat became her Husband Protector but punished her for being chaotic. Arkat's Curse made Dorastopr infertile, but Dorasta used the techniques she had learned from the Bright Empire to make her fruits random and so avoided the curse. She took on chaos to break the curse.

> It seems anathemic with everything he stood for.

 No, Arkat was a monster. They needed a monster to defeat the monsters.

Simon