Re: Yelmic Illumination

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 00:19:59 +1200

On 6/14/2013 2:21 PM, Glass wrote:

> But IMG [Dayzatar] was uniquely suited for this because in his way he was already an unusually syncretic figure, which is why (for example) Takenegi could reasonably consider "Buserian" to be the proper city god of Yuthuppa, when previously that city had been the province of "Yelm Arraz" and others. And why "the portion of Dayzatar" happens to be Saird where the sun domes flourished.

Buserian is in Yuthuppa as long ago as the Storm Age. Previously in the Golden Age, he was the God of Abgammon, which appears according to the Guide to be in the Upper Arcos valley.

Dayzatar on the other hand isn't reflected in such contemporary evidence. The earliest mention of him is a temple in Yuthuppa (re)built by Jenarong in the Gray Age. The deity appears to have some relationship with Zatora. "Day" means something like "Before" according to the Fortunate Succession p so Dayzatar seems to me to be a philosophical construct, an Buseri attempt to reconstruct Zatora who vanished during the Storm Age (it went into the Pit and never came out), with the seeker's journey closely paralleling the myth of Dayzatar's quest for Lightfore.

So Daysenerus appears to be mean something like Before Senerus with Senerus being the name of some extinct sun god or bygone lord of light. Perhaps the Buseri means of constructing Dayzatar was used to reconstruct the lost Senerus which could account for the similarities in the name.

--Peter Metcalfe