Re: maunderings

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idpentium.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 95 10:49:03 -0600

Nick:

>The Jrusteli God Learners compiled a vast mass of fragmentary source
>material relating to the Prophets, and using this (and their famous
>investigative techniques) they distilled out the now-widespread Holy
>Scripture

        I don't think the source material was as fragmentary as all that. I believe that at the Dawn, there was a Book of Malkion, that was used by the Brithini as (part of) the basis for their social system. This Book of Malkion has survived to the Third Age, in varying translations, and most (but not all) Malkioni sects accept it as the word of the Prophet.

        Shortly after Hrestol's death, I believe that his followers compiled their recollections of his words into "The Teachings of Hrestol".

        I don't see where the God Learners need to come into it at all, except to create the "standard translation" of the old texts. Certainly the Loskalmi could also venerate "Siglat's Dream" and "The Deeds of St. Talor", while the Seshnegi would add, instead, "The Life of Rokar", "The Words of Rokar", "Acts of Bailifes the Hammer", etc.

        Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I do _not_ think that there is a Book of Malkioni scripture floating about. Every sect must pick and choose from among the various scriptural sources available to them. It would be as if no one compiled the various Biblical sources into one volume, and so different churches accepted different books as scripture -- the Mormons rejecting "The Song of Solomon", while Foursquare Gospel church ignores everything but the four gospels, while Jehovah's Witnesses only really use Ezekiel and Revelation, etc., etc.,

        I think this is even more potentially interesting than one standard book that's modified by everyone. I especially like the idea of the Rokari (frex) trying to get their "Life of Rokar" accepted by other faiths as one of the canonical works.

        And in the meantime, you've got the old original Book of Malkion and Teachings of Hrestol floating around in various translations and editions for everyone to debate over.

re: Kralorela
Nils believes that bad Kralori are recycled while good Kralori get to go to Vithela. This makes heaps of sense to me.

        Nils also asks if Duocanths are chaotic. I think I answered this, but in case I didn't, Duocanths do not normally detect as chaotic by the Storm Bull sense. (How else could you tell?) Any Storm Bull who chose to believe that this means that duocanths are Illuminated is within his rights.