Monomyth

From: Nikk Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:38:05 +0000

>Surely it would be better
>to know what actually happened, rather than what people think
>happened.

 I'd prefer to have the myths laid out as what the people actually think what had happened. I believe that there was no definte actions in the past, and each culture has it's own specific view of these actions instead.

 However, we members of the Digest spend too much time discussing the interpretations of things like the Entekosiad and GROY, personally I'd just like someone to tell me exactly what the Yelmies think etc... they *must* have a definte viewpoint. However, I s'pose this is why Entekosiad and GROY are called Works In Progress.

 A nice, simple, monomythic Glorantha seemed fine to me in the beginning. Yet, (virtually) all the material we have is defined by the God Learner Monomyth. So, if *no-one* believes in the GL monomyth than in Arkat's name what is the use of the heap of Gloranthan material I possess???? Nobody in Contempart Glorantha uses it, it's a waste of time me telling my players it if they just have to ignore what I say and try and remember what their culture dictates, and it's a waste of bloody time me buying and reading it!!!!!!!!!!! Just my two clacks worth (phew! glad to get that off my chest).

As a last point, I don't use the monomyth in the main, because I have the time and energy to invest into a multi-cultural Glorantha. If you don't then the monomyth is the perfect road to an MGF campaign,

Nikk E.

Nikk the Broo Shaman of Thed
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~eff

    "If absolute power corrupts absolutely,