73 characters shalt thou not type...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:57:49 +0100 (BST)

Various people write:
> =

I'm sure to some extent, this is the work of Wakboth, and isn't really the fault of the posters. But for symptomatic relief I note that in several cases, lines of less than 72 characters come through unmolested, while longer ones cause barfing. One can only presume that some people's mail is being run through a FORTRAN compiler by nilmergs.

Sp basically, I suggest the following remedy of simple electronic behaviourism: note what seems to give your mailer indigestion, and don't feed it any of that.

81 is definitely out.

Well-behavedly,
Alex.