Earth Witch

From: Bruce Hollebone <hollebon_at_cyberus.ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:58:05 -0400

Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr> lists some new Orlanthi?/Sartari? gods:

> Redalda, the horse goddess.
> Uralda, the cow mother.
> Nandam, the birthing man.
> Hedkoranth, son of Orlanth and eldest of the Thunder Brothers.
> Hantrafal, godi of godis? and ex-mortal.
> Earth Witch.

Earth Witch (or, perhaps, an "Earth Witch") is described in Wyrms Footprints in the section on Earth Goddesses. She/It appears to be an earth counterpart for Kolat or perhaps the wife of the Horned Man (note that this is indeed the case in English (Pictish?) folklore: the horny hunter and the earth-witch were mates). At any rate she is a "primitive" spirit guide associated with the Earth rune and likely only available to women.

In my game, Penliss, the young witch-woman of Blackrock village ("Gaumata's Vision" in Sun Country), was guided by the Earth Witch.

On a related note, does the Horned Man have any elemental ties? It would seem not.

Is he strictly Praxian? I am inclined to believe so. In Sartar, it would seem far more apropriate that what the Earth Witch is to spirit women (witches, wise women), Kolat is for shamen.

Kind Regards
Bruce hollebon (at) cyberus.ca