Re: Invisible Orlanth

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 02:15:07 +0100 (BST)

Loren Miller reveals:
> Now, IMG, Invisible Orlanth is a mystical cult popular mainly in Lunar
> Carmania. Along the lines of recent discoveries about Yelmalio, IO is to
> Orlanth as Yelmalio is to Yelm.

Hrm. I'm afraid I really can't Bellyfeel this version at all, at present. In what sense is this cult "mystical"? (I'm not at all convinced by the reasoning that Yelmalio is significantly mystic, either, with the admitted exceptions of the Dayzatar-clones, and the the more pointless-seeming geasa, which "feel" somewhat like the theist remnants of a once significantly "mystical" cult. But I digress.)

This sounds more to me like the "Healed Orlanth" of Lunar wishful thinking. How did this arise as a native cult in Carmania? Why aren't the Lunars trying energetically to transplant _this_ cult to Sartar, rather than some of the dubious concoctions they actually seem to be trying it with?

I vaguely recall that Greg has prognosticated somewhat more about IO than his original "two words that sound just _great_ together!" confession. But alas, I can't remember what he said, at _all_. Is anyone else's memory in better working order than mine?

Slainte,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #290