Re: Mystic Cults

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:50:49 EDT

Peter Metcalfe

<< You originally argued that Doburdon was a mystic storm cult because  Yelmalio was a mystic sun cult and that the pantheons needed "balance".  Now you are apparently retreating from this. So why should Doburdon  now be a mystic storm cult?

Me:
I am not retreating from the idea that there is a mystic element to Yelmalio worship, nor am I retreating from the notion that Doburdun could be the Minor (mystic) Storm in Sun compared to Yelmalio's Minor (mystic) Sun in Storm. Nor do I find the arguments about cults and subcults convincing - what is your definition of a subcult ? Personally speaking , if there were a write up of Entekos worship I can easily imagine the subcult section: "Doburdon: this god of thunder is worshipped by the rare mystics who practice aesthetic practices within the cult of the Right Air. He represents the Storm in Solar areas as is required for cosmic balance. Members of this subcult will commune naked with the powers of the Air during thunderstorms. They gain little benefit material from these practices but claim that at least their god isn't Invisible Orlanth."

Now there's an idea;- Elmal and Doburdon; Yelmalio (new Elmal) and Invisible Orlanth (new Doburdon). I don't even agree with this idea myself.

Keith Nellist