Re: Ancestor Worship

From: Thomas Hobday <tmhobday_at_cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:18:44 +0800

Nick says

>Correct. Worshipping someone *else's* ancestors is rather silly (though
>we're doing something similar while we retain hereditary peers in the House
>of Lords, IMO).

It may not be so silly to worship someone elses ancestors. If you accept that part of the reason that you worship your ancestors is that they protect you from the nasty spirits that are out there you may equally worship another spirit that does the same or even a better job. It may be like a hero or city cult on a lesser level. I mean wasn't Pavis just this guy who found a place to live
Duke Raus in the Borderlands mercenary contract mentions how his ancestral spirit will protect his servants from spirits and devils. While this may be hyperbole it suggests that it would be believed. This protection may be no more than that extended to the chattels of the Duke but if it was the case that a spirit would take all loyal worshippers, and would offer decent protection wouldn't it be worshipped. This sort of argument it seems is used to attempt to woo loyal Orlanthi to worship the Red Goddess and her demons.

>If you (as GM) think this would be more fun than the alternative then go
for if.

The problem is both ways can be fun, to say no encourages increased "nationalism" which is good for roleplaying differences to say yes allows greater flexibility but reduces the unchangeable bits between peoples.

Steve and Peter said

>>Neither can adopted members (usually) hold clan official seats.
>
>I don't think this is true. Wives (or husbands for matrilineal clans)
>get accepted into the clan with all rights and responsibilities, so
>why not adoptees? If they didn't trust him, they wouldn't have adopted
>him in the first place.

Can People who have married into the Clan become Initiated into the ancestor worshipping cult?
I think probably yes which means why not adoptees as Peter said but the general concensus was that the adoption would be seen by your original ancestors as a rejection of their way of life, I dont believe marriage would have these same ramifications. Does this mean that a wife from clan A that marries into Clan B can participate in both ancestor worship rituals? Maybe she is considered an inactive worshipper of her original clan spirits.

Thomas H