Re: Chronoportation

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_dstc.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:34:37 +1000

"N.J. EFFINGHAM" wrote:
- -..
> The second point is that I don't like that idea, and much prefer Pete
> Metcalfe's vision of Chronoportation as a form of Historical Tourism
> that we get from the Entekosiad. To me Chronoportation would be a
> rare thing, certainly you couldn't just choose to Chronoportate
> anywhere! Such a the Red Emperor's Toilet one quiet evening in the
> fourth wane where you can bump him off with no problem. The rituals
> that send you through Time can send you only to the great places! To
> the great battles and wars, the great apocalyptic occurences, the
> amazing events of the past. Plus, I'd say that there was no way for
> you to wander off through Time. So, you couldn't go back to an
> important battle in the Fourth Wane, do a runner and hide in Fourth
> Wane Lunar Empire and then bump the Red Emperor off. As soon as you
> leave the physical region of the battle you "pop" back into the
> present. I have a few more notes on Chronoportation with the rest of
> my HeroQuest notes, but that is the gist of it, I think.
- -..

Ah, this makes me think: perhaps the lunars (and Argrath when he gets going against them properly) perhaps *make* a big event (eg. a battle) against perhaps superior forces in order to be able to come back and change it in the future. Of course, they wouldn't do this if they could win at the time! But I think they could go into it knowing that, even if they lost, it's possibly redeemable. Of course, the grunts in the front and second and... lines may not share the same opinion as the top brass about this :-)

Cheers
Robert