Re: Re : Would sir care to be eaten by chaos, now?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:38:26 +0100 (BST)

Simon Hibbs, on my different Modes of Non-being:

> >He was Liberated from the mundane world into a higher state of being;
>
> Arguably the same thing, or it's complete opposite. Or both.

My point is what whether or not it's 'ultimately' the same thing, it's a very different understanding thereof, and the telling the difference is basically impossible.

> >A misuse of great mystic powers caused his annihilation.
>
> IMHO basicaly annihilation by chaos. One of the risks of mysticism.

That's what an Orlanthi (say) might say happened, but it's not a More Correct explantion than the indigenous one.

> >He simply dispersed, being dead, and not having his soul trapped by
> >pagan demons.
>
> Dispersed is ok, inthat the substance from which it was formed still exists,
> albeit in a different form.

Not in Brithini or Mostali belief, for example. For them, the Self is completely destroyed at death, and anything left is just some untidy psychic residue, or whatever.

> >He went to Solace.
>
> And therefore still exists - in Solace.

Which is _also_ beyond the material or divine worlds. Thus the Brithini can poo-poo it freely, and as far as I know it's not possible to 'prove' that someone went to Solace, even by "conventional" HQ.

Cheers,
Alex.