Bump Ups

From: (nil)
Date: Wed Jun 16 15:29:33 1999

Trotsky :

>Eric:
><< Your clan priest can have one mastery, or four, it is a social position.>>
>
> Which surely brings us back to where we came in. What *does* this
>'three levels of mastery resistance' stuff mean? Clearly, even a one mastery
>clan priest ought to be able to contact the HeroPlane (not as easily as the
>rare three mastery types, to be sure, but still without too much hassle)

When, and under what circumstances? At the drop of a hat? How about on the annual high holy doy of their god? These are not the same situation. A priest needs to be able to contact 'the other side' for the purposes of ritual worship. Presumably this gets easier on holy days, or at mythoicaly significant sites. It seems reasonable to me that a clan holy man is less versatile in this respect than the tribal high priest.

>From what Greg said, to add some context to this, it was fairly clear to me
that what he meant was that the 'average' difficulty of getting from the mundane world to the other side takes 3 levels of mastery. An apropriate site and the right holy day will drop this down to perhaps only one level of mastery. The 'magic number three' is what is required to have a 50/50 chance at pretty much any time. Such people are constantly at risk of contact with the otherworld.

Let's not forget Plot Points either. If you think your level one mastery holy man doesn't have much chance of leading a service today, you can dramaticaly shift the odds for the cost of a Plot Point. I think this is another case of people making assumptions about how hero wars mechanics will turn out in practice from their experience with RQ. From my experience, you can't do that. They are simply too different. Any analysis of HW based on only one or two game mechanics is doomed. You need to see the wider picture before it will make sense.

Simon Hibbs