Re: Sartarite clans

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:51:23 -0700

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> One name that I can help you with is the Kheldron. Queen Kallyr has
> some companions whose clan associations are known according to KoS p235.
> They are: Blackrock, Greenhaf, Jerending, Blue Spruce, farther Squat
> Oak (implies the existance of the nearer Squat Oak), Elkenval and White
> Quartz.

As often, Peter is more willing to extrapolate than I am.

Kallyr is indeed of the Kheldon, but as a Prince of Sartar, she surely managed to garner support from other tribes ("Her followers dispersed to their various tribes" [KoS.154]). Thus, while I'm sure those clans are all Sartarite clans, I doubt very much that they are all Kheldon. Before she attempted the Lightbringers Quest, she gained support of the Thunder Brothers, which to me suggests folk outside her tribe. Note that one of her companions is Minaryth Purple of Jonstown -- Jonstown is not adjacent to Kheldon lands (according to the map in Tales 7).

So the list is, IMO, inconclusive as regards tribal affiliations. In fact, I'd suggest that "farther Squat Oak" would be, if anything, a clan outside her tribe, since it's not likely that one tribe has two clans by the same name. (I admit it could be a clan which lives on two sides of a ridge, but it could be a clan which split and joined two different tribes. Or two clans which coincidentally have the same totem.)

BTW, an additional comment: I think many clans are known by two different names. They have a nominal name, but are often known by their totem or some other affiliation. Thus, most people call the Anmangarni the Black Spear Clan, and many people call the Antorlings the Apple Clan. (The Bayberry clan, of which Londra of Londros is a member, is probably just its nickname.) I suspect Greg Stafford has used the names interchangeably in King of Sartar. Thus, the Blue Spruce, Squat Oak, and White Quartz clans may all be common names for clans mentioned elsewhere with a different name.

This is of course somewhat confusing, but it can help you integrate with later published material. For example, if you decide the Dundealos clan has a Hawk clan, and later it's revealed to have no such clan, you can state that the Metkafi clan is in fact the Hawk Clan.