Re: Name/word generation

From: Merlin Cox <merlin_at_broceliande.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:52:18 +0100

I've had success with Everchanging Book of Names by Sami Pyvrre, after fumblingly failing to compile the first ones I found. It's a slick, externally simple Windows 95 program, shareware, $10 to register. http://free.prohosting.com/~spyorre/ebon/

There was a wonderful webpage called the Onomastikon with thousands of names which was taken down, but I saved a lot of it. If you have lists to work with, you can have fun hybridising (mixing Welsh and Russian names, say). There are lots of Sartarite, Pelorian, Malkioni and troll names in print but not so many Praxian ones. I'm sure you could get good results by crossing three or four Earth cultures, but I can't figure out which ones. Anyone?

The way to use these things is to print out a couple of thousand random names on one page, take ones that strike you and change them.

Merlin.