Re: Foggy pirates

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:01:32 +0100

Alex:

> > ANyway, I think the Sea of Fog is a
> > natural place for pirates to flock to. Easy to hide in,
> > difficult for punitive expeditions to search efficiently.
>
> Indeed so. There's the small detail of the area being dominated
> by Zabdamar merfolk, though,

Maybe they have cut a deal? The zabdamar exacting a tribute from the pirates is a nice twist.

> as well as being more than a tad difficult
> to navigate even if left unmolested, so it's far from a free lunch.
> The Fog Pirates must have some smei-reliable means of doing so,
> it would seem;

They have onboard mystics who refute the fog?

> others, like the Tsankthi and the Ratuki probably
> lurk around the fringes, where they can discourage reprisals
> from the nations of the region, without risking the more dangerous
> parts of the Fog.

Yes indeed, for example I think the Ratuki have their home fish more east than north and their prey is mostly in the East Isles.

> I suppose that would explain why the most well-known and apparently
> large-scale piratical up Oop t'North. Mind you, since Mokato's
> Elegant Decline, there's been plenty of mind for new-fangled
> cut-throat schemes to be devised, and old ones revived, if perhaps
> on a less megalomaniac basis.

There is the pirate island Pregezora, originally found by pirates fleeing the mokatan purge. The Haragalans, being less than fond of competition of course try to repeat the Mokato manoeuver. That's the larger operations I'm aware of.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com