Re: HW Stats

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 20:50:59 GMT

Dan McCluskey:
> I am afraid, Alex that the Crimson Greg is much more in Martin's camp than
> yours. Onslaught is a remarkably easy char to represent and play in Hero
> Wars...

Not sure what you're getting at. I didn't say "You can't give Onslaught HW stats"; I said, he doesn't correspond to my conception of a Humakti Heroquster in particular, or a Hero in general. That _there exist_ individuals with "Close Combat" (or whatever, more evocativelyentitled  ability) at 10W3, 10W4, or 10W5 isn't in any way in dispute.

Wesley Quadros:
> You missed a few w's. ;-) According to the HW draft that I have a
> typical tribal champion would be between 10ww and 10www in close
> combat. Onslaught should be closer to 15wwww or higher.

I don't think you can get to 15W4 by 'mundane' means, and Onslaught seems (depressingly) mundane, that's my essential objection.

You say 'typical tribal champion' as if that was no big deal. We're talking about the best fighter out of 5-10,000 Orlanthi, for whom personal combat is practically a National Sport, who _does_ have significant magical and societal backing. Pretty impressive stuff, I'd suggest. (I've seen it suggested that Morden, of That Story fame, operates around that sort of level, but I've also seen a _lot_ of hedging on that topic.)

> In a one-on-one fight I can see Onslaught being on par with Jar-Eel and
> Harrek

Words fail me.

Cheers,
Alex.