Re: many sects / souls

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 02:35:06 GMT

TERRA INCOGNITA:
> IMHO, Glorantha seems ignoring or distorting one of Greatest Religion like
> Buddhism or Islam: GS likes Southern Indiana source more than that of
> Chinese or Muslim: My intention here is not criticizing his work.

Well, as one of the Viceroys of the East (pro tem), I'm not wholly insensible to comparisons between certain eastern practices and certain sorts of Buddhism; very little of this has seen print, it must be admittedly, so I can only ask your forebearance in the meantime. And of course, your suggestions as to exactly how this might best be done.

As for distorting: well, Glorantha, once again, is not earth. If a RW religion is plundered for Gloranthan inspiration, that ought not to be regarded as a depiction of that religion at all, much less a distorted one. For example if two separate Buddhist traditions end up corresponding (in the above, loose sense) to a single Gloranthan one, or if two apparently historically unrelated Gloranthan religions each resemble different aspects of historical or present Buddhism, that's playing around with religious ideas to suit the apparent condition of Glorantha, not just 'getting it wrong'.

(Islam I can't help you with much, though I'm mildly taken with some comparisons between Malkionism and Islam.)

Cheers,
Alex.