Re: Analogues and accessibility

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:35:27 GMT

Ricjard Crawley writes:
> For some time I have had a half-completed article for one of the
> glossy wargames magazines (that's miniatures gaming for those
> of you brought up on hexes and cardboard) aimed at introducing
> Glorantha as a setting for battles or campaigns.

As another long-time half-completer (OK, often 1/10th completer...), I hereby encorage you to finish it, then! Or at least, part I, since it could be a remarkably large topic to treat of in depth and in full.

> I'd like to be able to say - there's a great and active mailing list
> on the 'Net where you can ask any further questions but I don't
> think the Digest is that place. The discussions of (picking topics
> at random) Kralorelan mysticism and Darudan Draconism

Hrm: funny how your random picks came up with (more or less) the same topic twice. ;-) But presence of 'uninteresting' threads should hardly preclude the presence of others (though the crudeness of the Digesting technology admittedly worsens this by destroying any likelihood of threaded reading). If such questions _were_ asked here I have little doubt they'd get answered, however. (Repeatedly and contradictorily, doubtless.)

Besides, such topics are hardly irrelevant to Gloranthan minitures, unless having your entire regiment squashed by an incoming dragon seems like a small matter. Granted it's not being presented in instantly gameable form -- just call it 'basic research'.

> Perhaps what is needed is an "Lhankor Mhy Apprentices'" list
> for newby questions. The problem then arises that it might be
> underpopulated by folks who would know the answers - or are
> people who are dedicated enough to send 100 dollars to GTA
> also dedicated enough to put up with repeated "Who's this
> Argrath?" questions in order to promote Glorantha?

Well, given a decent FAQ, 'See the FAQ' should help considerably with such.

Cheers,
Alex.