Re: Prax etc

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:07:23 +0100 (BST)

"Danny Mr":
> The thing that's got to be borne in mind is that we are grognards but if HW
> does sell to people who have little/no previous knowledge of Glorantha then
> why shouldn't Praxpak come out? From a purely business point of view it
> makes sense - the material's already there, afterall, so it would be a
> relatively simple job to convert and publish compared to creating something
> new. P'raps Praxpak would be best as a stop gap to fill a break in the
> publishing line?

I addressed this point fairly specifically, I thought. If HW sells out three print runs in quadruple-quick time, making lots and lots of 'new' sales in the process, and the bottleneck becomes "We have all these customers, and all this money, whatever shall we publish next, what with the proverbially erratic pace of freelance submissions?", then the scenario you assert above will indeed come into play.

If, however, sales are being made in substantial part to old-timers, aren't in such volumes that Issaries is more liquid than it knows what to do with, and is restricted in budget and in-house resources as well as by submissions, then Prax, Yet Again seems to me clearly not to be the best way to expend resources, either from Issaries as a business's PoV, or for the Gloranthan community at large.

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #671