Re: Alynxes

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:54:54 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/00 8:32:35 GMT Daylight Time, owner-glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com writes:

<< How big are they? "The largest are the size of a large dog." it says in
the Narrator's Book, which is about the same as a lynx. Earlier sources always said "From the size of a house cat to..", which always irked me, as it gives a very large span for a single species. A very large lynx weighs up to 45kg, about as a largish dog.>>

     But dogs vary from the size of a housecat to the size of a largish dog, and they're one species. Wild alynxes are about lynx sized (though slimmer and with a longer tail), its the domesticated ones that vary considerably.

<< All this, of course, given that Shadow cats are related to our
cats/lynxes, and
 not to our larger felines, like lions, tigers, hunting leopards, etc.>>

      Correct.

<< Are there ordinary cats in Glorantha? >>

      Certainly.

<< Are they as well liked by heortlings? >>

      They're not specifically disliked, but the heortlings don't actually keep any - there's really no need when the murni alynxes (the housecat-sized ones) do everything that a cat can do anyway. Such cats are kept in pretty much all the non-heortling agrarian cultures of Genertela, but possibly not in Pamaltela, where they likely have some other small feline to fulfil the same function.

Forward the glorious Red Army!
Trotsky