Re: Troll Ball

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:42:08 +0000

Simon Hibbs:
>Tentacles was the usual eclectic mix of freeforms, panels,
>games, boozing sessions and blokes with rubber swords.
>The Trollball was particularly wet this year, thanks
>to a seemingly limitless supply of water baloons.
>Unfortiunately the referee showed a dismaying lack
>of authority, allowing the players to get away with a
>number of mass assaults against the crowd. It's the first
>time I've seen a pitch invasion in reverse.

About time, really. Troll Ball is a spectators' sport, and encourages spectator participation. If you have read MOB's written rules for Convulsion '94, you might have noted the counter-attack descriptions there.

This time, I found the troll ball match to be the muddiest affair I've ever had the pleasure to kick (i.e. referee), and I noticed a couple of very enthusiastic "spectators" who had shown a remarkable lack of enthusiasm earlier on, when the teams were recruiting.

Come on, if you're willing to pelt players with water, you're entitled to get a few bashes...

As to lack of authority - at least one of the attacks was initiated by the referee, and both troll teams followed as one team. I announced beforehand that any missile attacks on referee or healer would be persecuted this way.

Besides, there were a couple of excess inflatable toys available...

The German Trollball "league" might be the hardest.