Re: Ideographs vs. Latin?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:27:37 +0100 (BST)

David Cake on "Brithini Latin":
> Which I still say would be a common language used across
> cultures, rather than the one script for multiple languages that we
> are told is the case.

No it ain't. The point is that for several centuries, the only 'written form' of Italian, French, etc, _was_ Latin.

> The runes is just circumstantial evidence.

Evidence of nothing at all, IMO. Does iconography in any RW culture you care provide evidence of a logographic script, ? Glorantha, OTOH, already seems over-endowed with the practice...

> Besides, I like the idea of throwing the Chinese analogue
> script into the Western world rather than the more predictable Latin
> analogue.

Yeah. Isn't it great when we destroy what little intuition we already have about the West. Similarly, let's make lots of other jarringly inappropriate inclusions into other cultures. Doraddi saunas and Kralori jousting, anyone?

Cheers,
Alex.