Re: Anaxial's Rooster & Convulsion

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:08:17 +0100

In message Anaxial's Rooster & Convulsion, Hannu Kokko writes

>> Greg's latest GTA mailing seemed fairly clear to me. Runemasters and
>> Initiates *can* have AR (or alternatively, the Glorantha book) now if they
>> want it, by asking Greg. If they don't ask him, they'll get whatever book
>> they originally asked for. So:
>

>Just out of curiosity: I last received GTA mailing in March (I am an
>initiate). Is this Greg's mailing later than that. It did not seem to cover
>any ground in this matter.

I think someone (DD?) said there was a new mailing due "soon", and I suspect this is what Trotsky is referring to - although it does sound like he has received it, I am another initiate who hasn't...

>Re: Convulsion
>
>Convulsion was great, this year also. It even seems that we had some new
>faces there, younger ones than usual. Less Scandinavians than ever, I think.

I saw a lot of people who had played in our HW demo's at Wayland's Forge, so at least we didn't put them off! (It would have been more encouraging, admittedly if they had not been old RQ fans)

>Less new stuff to buy than usual. This was a little bit of disappointment
>and also a little bit worrying. Only the YBOT and TradeTalk 6 were new, all
>the rest had been on sale for a few months already.

It was a shame, although a relief for the wallet (and the arm on Monday Morning!) It would have been nice to have Anaxial's Rooster (sic) and the new TotRM out as well though, both of which only just missed it (assuming Tales is due very soon...)

>House of Malan was ok with couple of great moments such as Ken Rolston as
>Indrogar facing the king's son in a duel and finding out that the son is
>better than him on the sword: "I never said that you were incompetent only
>that you are dishonorable" paraphrased from memory.

I enjoyed Malan, and I think I came closer to achieving my objectives than ever! One of my favourite jaw dropping lines was asking the Shaman if he could tell me what the problem was with my wife, when he came searching for the dark witch, only for him to tell me (Free, gratis and without calling on the spirits) that she was sleeping with another member of my clan. (This, to be honest, didn't come as a complete surprise, although I was suspecting the wrong person).

I enjoyed Orlev the Tall (Oliver Dickinson)'s victory against Varmand when, having been deposed as Clan Chief he stood forward as our Champion when we couldn't persuade Malan to launch a proper war!

>Perhaps the Convulsion was a little bit less organised than the previous
>ones, there were for example less seminars to participate in.

I think everything ended up being a bit rushed - Fortunately it all worked. I'm not really in a position to criticise, never having done anything along these lines, but I hope the committee recognise where the problems were and try and avoid them (if and where next possible) next time.

> Should the
>committee for the next one perhaps solicitate more seminars from amongst the
>audience or general public... A call for papers or call for seminar subjects
>on this and hero wars list might be in order. Should we take a lateral look
>on the stuff we do and make seminars out of that, a questionnaire from
>amongst us who participate, perhaps. Not that I am volunteering :-)

Well I never have a problem talking, although I wouldn't claim to be an expert on anything...

>Tournaments could start on the first evening so that they do not overflow
>all the way to Sunday afternoon.

Convulsion Tournaments are always tricky to fit in, because there is so much other stuff going on! We finished our HW tournament when Greg started his reading - and we sort of "fast forwarded" through the last fight to get to the conclusion. I think everyone enjoyed it, and wasn't to upset at not getting a mention in the closing ceremony...

>Will definitely be there on the next Convulsion also.

The Committee, (or representatives thereof) did say there would be a C02 in 2002. Rumour has it that it might be in London rather than Leicester. Personally I am not so keen on this, but that's because, as a Midlander, Leicester is much quicker, cheaper and easier to get to (and Food & Drink are almost certainly cheaper too!). - --

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| Curiosity killed the cat - Why? What did it want to know?               |