Re: Aldryami

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:34:05 +0100 (BST)

David Cake:
> I think Aldryami have a 'group consciousness' but not a
> 'group mind' - they have individual thoughts, and make individual
> decisions - but do not base their decisions on their individual
> desires, but on the well being of all.

Right. There's (in principle) still volition involved.

> Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> >A PC might express a desire for a bronze arrowhead. He sends
> >this into the forest and then walks to the forest fletcher.
> >When he arrives, the fletcher has already prepared the arrows
> >for him having responded to the desire.
>
> I think this overstates the depth of information communicable
> in this way. I think that the PC asks the forest fletcher for the
> bronze arrowheads, who gives them to him without asking payment,
> because he understands that they are all working together for the
> good of the forest. But I think communcating the specifics of desire
> need language, elves are not telepathic. Strongly empathic, however.

But the circumstance Peter describes could arise if _both_ the PC elf and the fletcher were responding in some unconscious manner to the feelings, needs, or ultimate best interest of the forest. I agree it doesn't have a strong 'point to point' functionality.

Cheers,
Alex.