Lightfore In Orlanthi Myth

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:12:46 +1000

Ephemera on Ephemeris

I have been rightly castigated (privately - my accuser is kind) for misreading Andre's question on Glorantha emphemerons, and repeating details of Nick's when in fact the new improved second one was the software in point. I plead guilty, heartily apologise, and ask that my name be added to those seeking this new wonder. In future, I will try and scan the Digest *after* morning caffeine, not during it.

Lightfore in Orlanthi Mythos

Alex:

>Lokarnos is a planet, not a
>constellation

Hey looky dat... it moves. You're right.

>Greg has gregged Nick (and himself) on some fairly
basic celestial facts since those distant days.

I begin to see why nobody uses celestial lore. I shall retain the 'poetry of the moment', as you put it, and try and be vague about the exact night and occurrence.

>If you do mean Lokarnos, the planet, I'd be interested to know if there's
>soemthing significant happening with him on that date... (And if not,
>I'd be interested in which constellation was really meant.)

I'm looking for a celestial event on Big O's high holy day, and the uniqueness of said event comes from the star spears (comets, daimons) that issue forth, which I can attach to almost anything. Lokarnos skidding by Lightfore isn't that special of itself, and as you point out, may not have happened on that night anyway.

> however I wonder if anyone's done any work on
> the planet Lightfore in Orlanthi mythology?

>Good question. You'd think there'd be some "close personal friend" of
>Elmal's associated with this body, as with Pole Star/Rigsdal.

Yes, these were my thoughts. As the sun wanders far below horizon, goaded by armies of darkness, some wandering friend of the Storm Tribe gives steady old Rigsdal a hand. Perhaps the planet is a hero from the Greater Darkness (Hengall, the Second Son, the Star Heart!) or a stay-behind deity such as Vinga. Or perhaps some aspect of Elmal himself - the justice spear? It sounds like (barring a future gregging) that I presently have carte blanche with the Orlanthi name as long as I come up with a good myth. For the present, Lightfore=Hengall sounds good to me.

Thanks all for the input.

John

nysalor_at_primus.com.au John Hughes

There was many a corpse cold on blackened ground;
>From warriors ravens grew red

And the Kheldon Queen called clans to vengeance, Hurricane Rebels! - I sing to their valour.

Until I am old and ailing,
waiting for the final journey,
I shall not be true to the winds
if I do not praise Kallyr.