Re: Christianity and East

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 13:42:28 +0000

TERRA INCOGNITA wrote:

>>>The month names are all based on the yearly cycle of climate (sometimes
>>>vaguely, to be sure).
>>>

>Surely, but I mean each Sacred Days of Saints. As you know, Saints of
>Aeolianism are "actually" deities of Storm Pantheon.

Indeed. But the saints days used in the Malkioni calendar are not (generally speaking) derived in the sort of way that those in the pagan lands are. Most of the saints are historical figures who lived and died at particular times, which usually had nothing to do with auspicious days (or at least not days that were auspicious *before* they were born or died on them) in either the Malkioni or Theyelan calendars. So one really wouldn't expect most of the days to be otherwise significant - beyond the fact that, say, a date commemorating a battle is likely to occur during summer when its easier to go to war.

>>A key difference between Malkionism and Christianity is that the former
>>is not historically connected to, or in any way derived from, a pagan
>>culture.
>>

>I think modern scholars of Christianity agree with you, but worshipper of it
>don't. Lots of matter of Subjectivity and Objectivity.

In terms of devising the dates of major festivals, Islam was a larger influence on me than Christianity, and I didn't ignore Judaism either. Islam has done a better job of purging pagan elements from its roots (though no religion evolves in vacuo) so it seemed the better fit. And the Islamic calendar, you'll note, is not based on the yearly cycle of seasons like the Gregorian one is. Though of course, the Malkioni calendar isn't a lunar one, for obvious reasons!

Though there are some generically significant dates in my calendar - Scriptmas, for instance.

>>Some individual Malkioni sects may have adopted pagan beliefs
>>in the same way that Christianity has (the Aeolians are an obvious
>>culprit here), but in general there's either no link or the Church has
>>succesfully squished it, at least from its formal ceremonies - what the
>>farmers get up to might be another matter, where there's a prior
>>theistic tradition in that area.
>>

>That is what Common Magic attributed in HQ.

Some Common Magic, at any rate. Common Magic doesn't have to be pagan, or even pagan-like - though if often is!

> But I think HQ rules still don't
>much talk about the secret of Hrestol, his Quest to Four Directions,
>Crusade and Knighthood, etc....but maybe it is exceptions, not within frame
>of rule boundary. That is heroquest, breaking old Shackle and seeking New
>Relationship.

The Hrestoli Church keyword will be in LotW1.

>Historically, Christ didn't revive in Easter, (oh-no, don't throw stones to
>me!) Christ wasn't born in Christmas.

While there's no reason to assume he was born anywhere near the winter solstice, I think you're on much shakier ground for the former. He died the week after the Passover (assuming we take the gospels at face value, which there's no particular reason not to in this instance) and that is, at least in theory, what the date of Easter is derived from. Sure, a pagan festival got whacked on top of it later, but its not as if Easter is the vernal equinox or anything similarly significant.

>It is a "lie" later attributed by historians, I want to know about what
>people believes. You want to say what actually occured.

Well, I think they'd know. The Malkioni are pretty good at record keeping. Not to mention that in Glorantha, if you go about celebrating things and doing heroquests on the wrong day, you're going to get in trouble. Just the sort of trouble that Dennis the Short and others like him thought that everybody was getting into with the Julian calendar - in Glorantha they'd have been right, and it would probably have been fairly obvious. So I don't see an analogy between the Malkioni Ascension Day and, say, Christmas.

>Maybe Aeolians are minority, or NOT. Maybe Seshnelans and New Hrestoli have
>rather different set of Sacred Days.

Undoubtedly. The Aeolians probably don't use the Malkioni calendar anyway.

>If you want, please call me super-sensitive to any sense of Christianity in
>Glorantha, but I feel some (many?) ordinary things in Japan is not so in
>European Culture that is influenced from Christianity set of mind, whether
>its successors like it or not.

To be sure. Which is why the Malkioni may seem as strange a culture to you as, say, Kralorela does to us :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic