Re: Humakt's mum

From: Topi Pitk?nen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:17:46 +0300

> > > Who was Humakt's mum?

Some of Umath's sons are known to have no mother. (That's why they take so much to their old dad.)

> > I would guess a goddess of the Dark Earth. She may not exist anymore,
> > but it's possible the Trolls know her as Subere.
> Here's a crazy thought: Humakt's mother died in childbirth. Thus,
> *she* is Death. A mother's ultimate gift to her child.

In darkness and dark earth mythologies there exists mentions of 'Mother of Space' which is coupled with 'Father of Demons'. Maybe 'she' is a more satisfying answer to the question.

They both are undifferentiated entities. Vast concepts that a few named entities are identified with. Your ideas can be included. Mother of Space may hint at Subere and sometimes at Xiola Umbar, or even Entekos (with vivid imagination), and yet Ty Kora Tek. The last name is intresting in 'Umath and Asrelia'-sense.

Dark Earth - Ty Kora Tek & Umath
- so close but infinitely far for the lovers having each other Darkness - Subere & Father of Demons
- the mother of death, the deepest darkness of the underworld The Space Herself
- separated into above and below by the violent birth of Umath   (which is pretty much in tone with David's crazy idea)

Asserting problems with Humakt's "mothers" childbirth:

> 1) She can't have died. Death hasn't been discovered yet.
She can have been separated.

> 2) There is a difference between being Death and being Dead.
Separation.

"There is nothing like desire for preventing the thing one   says from bearing any resemblancce to what one has in mind." - Marcel Proust, Rememberance of Things Past -

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 119